September 25, 2013

Pina Colada Macaroons





As I mentioned in my last post, I've been baking lots of wedding-related desserts this week.  My husband and I will celebrate our first anniversary over the weekend, and I thought it would be fun to relive our wedding and honeymoon through desserts.  Monday's post featured a Skinny Shirley Temple Float, and today's dessert is a Pina Colada Macaroon.

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Key West and greatly enjoyed our time there.  The Florida Keys feel so tropical that it was almost hard to believe we hadn't left the United States.  The culture was so relaxed and the pace was much more leisurely than the hustle and bustle of everyday life.  Whenever life feels particularly busy or stressful, I find myself yearning to return to Key West.

While on our honeymoon, we were certain to sample plenty of Key Lime Pie, of course.  In addition, I was served one of the best Pina Coladas that I've ever had.  It was sweet, tart, and refreshing, with a shake-like consistency and a beautiful garnish.  These Pina Colada macaroons transport me back to our brief time in Key West.  Even better -- the alcohol is so minimal that you don't have to wait until 5:00 to enjoy them!





Pina Colada Macaroons

3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
8 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained
2 egg whites, gently beaten
2 tsp. rum (I used Malibu)
3 Tbsp. flour

3-4 maraschino cherries, diced (optional, for garnish)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a cooking sheet lightly with cooking spray.  
2. Mix together all ingredients, except maraschino cherries.  Use a tablespoon measure to drop macaroons onto prepared cookie sheet.  If desired, decorate eat macaroon with a few pieces of diced maraschino cherry. 
3. Bake for 22-24 minutes.  Macaroons should turn golden brown and crispy on the bottom.  Allow to cool on cookie sheets.  
4. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  


Yield: approximately 18 macaroons


No comments :

Post a Comment