September 3, 2013

Buttermilk Balsamic Ice Cream with Brandied Figs





My husband and I have entirely different preferences when it comes to ice cream.  He appreciates the tried-and-true favorites like vanilla and chocolate.  On the other hand, I gravitate towards flavor combinations that are a bit more unique, such as this buttermilk balsamic ice cream
 


 
The buttermilk and balsamic both provide an unexpected tang, which cuts the sweetness of the brown sugar.  And this ice cream is based on a custard with six -- yes, six! -- egg yolks, so the end result is quite dense and creamy.  In fact, the consistency reminded me of gelato.  

Based on past experiences, I wasn't too surprised when my husband and I had different reactions to this buttermilk balsamic ice cream.  After taking my first taste, I said something dramatic and over-the-top like "Wow, this may be the best ice cream I've ever made."  My husband responded with, "Yeah...it's pretty good."  In husband-speak, that's his way of saying, "I don't hate it, but it's not my cup of tea."  I hadn't expected him to like this ice cream, but I was still a little disappointed since I loved it so much.   

But then, late last night, I spotted him helping himself to a heaping bowl.  I secretly felt a bit thrilled when I realized that the buttermilk balsamic ice cream must have grown on him.  Finally, an ice cream that we can agree upon.  Success.  



(Click here for printable recipe)

Buttermilk Balsamic Ice Cream with Brandied Figs
(Ice cream ased on recipes from Epicurious.com and Smitten Kitchen, whose recipe is adapted from Claudia Fleming's The Last Course)

Ingredients

For the Buttermilk Balsamic Ice Cream:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups lowfat buttermilk
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup good quality balsamic
For the Brandied Figs:
  • 8-10 ripe fresh figs
  • 1 Tbsp. salted butter
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. brandy
Instructions

For the Buttermilk Balsamic Ice Cream:
1. Combine heavy cream, buttermilk, vanilla, and 2/3 cup brown sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.  Bring to low simmer over medium heat.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks with remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar.

3. Remove cream mixture from heat.  Slowly mix cream mixture, in small portions, into the egg yolks.  Return cream-brown sugar mixture to sauce pan.  Heat over medium to 180 degrees F.  Pour custard into a large heat-proof bowl.  Cool to room temperature (can use ice bath to speed this up), then refrigerate overnight.

4. Shortly before churning ice cream, heat balsamic vinegar in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan.  Reduce to 1 Tbsp in volume, taking care not to burn the balsamic.  Allow balsamic to cool to room temperature

5. Once custard is completely chilled, pour into ice cream maker and churn according to directions, approximately 25 minutes.  Pour balsamic reduction into ice cream maker and churn for 5 more minutes, until fully incorporated.  Pour ice cream into freezer-safe container and freeze at least 4 hours, until fully set.

For the Brandied Figs:

1. Remove stems from figs and cut in half.

2. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat, and add sugar.  Once melted, add figs, cut side up.  Cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn figs.  Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until figs are softened.

3. Remove figs and place in bowl.  Do not pour out sauce.  Add brandy to saucepan and return to heat, thickening slightly.  Pour brandy sauce over figs.  Serve buttermilk ice cream with 4-5 fig halves and a spoonful of brandy sauce.

Yield: 4 servings brandied figs


(Click here for printable recipe)


No comments :

Post a Comment