August 26, 2013

Batch 7: Medical/Doctor-Themed Cookies


Hi, there!  Hope you all had a great weekend!

One of my younger brothers recently started his first year of medical school.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend his white coat ceremony due to the distance.  However, I wanted to send him a little something to let him know that I was thinking of him and cheering him on.  Since I've been on a sugar cookie baking spree recently, medical-themed cookies were the obvious answer.



I whipped up a batch of white coats, and threw in a Hawaiian shirt (in his new school colors, of course) for a little fun.  With this particular batch, I was still struggling with too-thin piping icing.  You'll see the evidence in the white coats because I had several air bubbles in the piping icing.  For the stethoscopes, I used a #1 piping tip, finished with nonpareil sprinkles for the earpieces and larger pearl sprinkles for the stethoscope "handles" (sorry...clearly, I'm not familiar with stethoscope terminology).  And what would med school be without a huge pile of textbooks?  To create the stack of books, I simply used a tiered cake cookie cutter.  

After making these cookies, I had the sense that something was a little "off."  Something about the white coats just wasn't quite right.  Then it struck me: White coats have long sleeves.  My cookies have short sleeves.  Have you ever visited a doctor who was wearing short sleeves?  No, I haven't, either.  Whoops!  Oh, well...the general idea was there.



Thanks for reading, folks!  

No comments :

Post a Comment