February 13, 2014

Triple Chocolate Muffins (just in time for Valentine's Day!)



Triple Chocolate Muffins have a rich chocolate crumb and plenty of chocolate chips.  For extra fun, add in a generous handful of white chocolate chips.  These muffins are so decadent that you won't miss the eggs.



Hi, friends!  It's been far too long since my last post.  I'm sorry about that -- I had no intention of stepping away from this blog for quite so long.  I've been busier than usual at work, and it's been hard to find a spare moment to post new recipes.  But I'm snowed in today, so I thought I'd share these Triple Chocolate Muffins.  What could be better on a cold winter's day, right?  And if you happen to have heart-shaped silicone baking cups, they could be a special Valentine's Day treat. 

These muffins were adapted from a recipe in Mani Niall's book, Good Morning Baking.  This cookbook was a gift from my brother and sister-in-law (thanks, C & B!) and I'm so excited to try out Mani Niall's recipes.  How would you like to start the morning with Maple-Pecan Sticky Buns or Brazilian Banana Upside-Down Muffins?  Makes me wish every day could be a Saturday. 



If these chocolate muffins are any indication, I'm sure the remainder of Mani Niall's recipes will turn out wonderfully, as well.  The original recipe called for raspberries, which I omitted since we didn't have any.  Instead, I added some white chocolate chips to make these even more decadent (not that they needed it).  One of the things I love about this recipe is that it's egg-free, so it's great for those mornings when I want to prepare a special breakfast but find myself all out of eggs. 




Triple Chocolate Muffins
(adapted from Mani Niall's Good Morning Baking!)

Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp white vinegar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners (can also be baked in silicone cups; note difference in cooking time)
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Use a whisk to incorporate ingredients, being certain that no lumps of cocoa powder remain. 
  3. In another large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and vanilla.  Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk together to combine.  With a wooden spoon, gently fold in chocolate chips.  Batter will be thick. 
  4. Using a 1/4 cup measure, fill muffin tins.  Bake for approximately 25 minutes.  Cake tester should come out mostly clean (unless, of course, you accidentally stick the cake tester into a melted chocolate chip!). If using silicone cups, bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. 
  5. Allow to cool briefly on wire racks, then enjoy!
Yield: 16-18 muffins



Thanks for stopping by!  If you're shoveling snow today, be sure to bundle up! 



No comments :

Post a Comment