November 21, 2013

Cranberry Applesauce



Cranberry Applesauce is a quick no-bake dish that also happens to be easy on the waistline.  Fresh cranberries lend a pleasing tartness and create a lovely light-pink color.


Recently, a vendor at work brought an assortment of goodies to thank us for our business.  They provided a huge platter of cookies (yum!)...and a box of miniature pedometers.  A natural combination, right?  I suppose it's all about balance.  

For the past few days, I've been wearing the pedometer on the waistband of my pants and hearing a faint click click as I go about my day.  I've read guidelines about walking a minimum of 10,000 steps per day as a means to stay fit.  So I was curious to know...just how many steps do I walk in a typical day?  

I know I tend to be sedentary at work since I sit in front of a computer for most of the day.  I expected that my numbers would be subpar, but I wasn't prepared for such dismal results.  It seems that, on a typical workday, I take just 1,200-1,800 steps.  Yep, that means that, even on an "active" workday, I walk less than 1/5 of the recommended daily amount.  Yikes!


So, I'm taking small steps (excuse the pun) to be healthier and more active during my normal workday.  Nothing crazy...just little things like parking my car in the farthest spot from the building entrance.  Printing documents to the central printer, rather than the one sitting in my office.  Walking to a coworker's desk, rather than calling him/her when I have a question.  

And I'm also going to eat more fresh fruit.  Fruit that isn't loaded up with butter or sugar, as delicious as that may be.  This Cranberry Applesauce is the perfect place to start.  It takes advantage of seasonal fruit and has just a modest amount of brown sugar.  If you'd like to make this even healthier, feel free to omit the brown sugar (but prepare to pucker up thanks to those tart cranberries!)


(click here for printable recipe)

Cranberry Applesauce

Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds apples (about 9 medium), peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (juice from approximately 1 large orange)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup water
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Then, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until apples are soft.  
  2. Remove from heat.  Use a potato masher to mash apple-cranberry mixture to the desired consistency. You can also use an immersion blender to create a smoother sauce.  Enjoy!
Yield: 8-12 servings

Notes
If you'd like to make this even healthier, feel free to leave out the brown sugar.  Leftover applesauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

(click here for printable recipe)



Thanks for reading, friends!  Just one more day 'til the weekend (hooray!)

No comments :

Post a Comment