October 30, 2013

Candy Shop Rice Krispie Treats



Candy Shop Rice Krispie Treats offer you the chance to reinvent a childhood classic.  Gather all your candy shop favorites and combine them into one sweet, colorful treat!  




When I was a kid, my candy preferences were remarkably consistent.  Year after year, my trick-or-treat loot would include handfuls of the same sweet, sticky confections: Jolly Ranchers, Skittles, Starbursts, Nerds, Laffy Taffy, Now 'n' Later, and Runts.  When given the choice, I would invariably choose fruit-flavored candies over anything with chocolate (don't worry -- I've since opened my mind to chocolate).


And of course, I liked certain flavors better than others.  Basically, if a candy was pink or purple, I liked it.  Strawberry, cherry, and grape were my go-to choices regardless of the type of candy.  Orange, lemon, and lime were always eaten last.  Or, if I could manage it, bartered with my brothers for something I liked better.


This year, I decided to incorporate some of my favorite Halloween candies into a Candy Shop Rice Krispie Treat.  Did you know that you can melt Starbursts?  It's true!  The pale pink color in these little squares is courtesy of the 14 Starburst candies that were melted into the butter/marshmallow mixture.  And now that Starbursts makes a variety of "Favorite Red" flavors (cherry, strawberry, watermelon and fruit punch -- yum!), I didn't even have to work around the icky lemon and orange ones.  If you don't have Starbursts, feel free to experiment with other taffy-like candy, such as Laffy Taffy or Airheads.  For a little extra pizzazz, I stirred in a big handful of Nerds candy.  The Nerds provide an unexpected tang and a delightful crunch.  Plus, I appreciated the pop of color they added to my Rice Krispie Treats.       


To celebrate this Halloween, I’m teaming up with my friends today to bring you 9 delicious sweet treat recipes.  Be sure to check out other tasty treats.  If you dig sweets, then check out #TrickorTreatBlogHop2013 on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram.



(click here for printable recipe)

Candy Shop Rice Krispie Treats

Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes (includes cooling)

Ingredients
  • 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
  • 14 pieces Starburst candy in the flavor of your choice (or, about 2.5-3 ounces of another taffy-like candy, such as Laffy Taffy or Airheads)
  • 5 cups marshmallows
  • 7 cups crisped rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
  • 1/2 cup Nerds candy in the flavor of your choice (or, the same amount of Skittles or Pop Rocks)
Instructions
1. Line a 9" x 13" baking dish with foil.   
2. In a very large pot, heat butter and Starbursts on the stove over medium heat.  Stir constantly to prevent butter from burning.  Continue heating until Starbursts have softened and melted.  This may take 5-7 minutes. 
3. Reduce heat to medium-low.  Add marshmallows to pot, and stir until melted.  
4. Remove from heat.  Add crisped rice cereal and Nerds to pot and stir to coat evenly. 
5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.  Use rubber spatula to pat down evenly. Allow to cool, then use a butter knife to cut into squares.  

Yield: 24 squares
(click here for printable recipe)



Thanks for stopping by, friends!

No comments :

Post a Comment